Caramel apples are one of the best parts of fall! You can enjoy a number of caramel apple snacks and drinks, but nothing beats the real thing! You spend the whole year dreaming about that delicious caramel-dipped treat on a stick, but once you try to bite into one, you remember what a pain they can be! These amazing no-mess caramel apple slices put the caramel inside easy to eat slices, which cuts down on the mess! It’s also a great use of all those apples you just picked from your trip to the orchard that you aren’t quite sure what to do with! Here’s the ultra easy recipe for this tasty and quick snack!
What You’ll Need:
- 3 apples of your choice
- 1 citrus fruit (lemon, lime, or orange)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk -OR- 2 C. caramel chews and 2 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 1/4 C. nuts or toppings of choice (optional)
- To prepare homemade caramel, place the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a slow cooker and completely cover with water. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, making sure to keep can completely submerged at all times, adding water if necessary.
- Cut each apple in half and use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the insides, leaving about 1/4 inch thickness to the walls.
- Cut your citrus fruit in half and squeeze over the apple halves. This will prevent them from browning right away! Blot the apple to remove any excess liquid. You can choose any citrus you’d like, but the subtle flavor of lemon may be best.
- Once your crock pot caramel is done cooking, carefully remove the can and allow to cool before opening.
- *If you choose not to make crock pot caramel, melt the caramel candy chews in a sauce pan over low heat. Stir in corn syrup. Once completely melted, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour caramel into the hollowed-out apples. Don’t fill them too full!
- If you’d like to add nuts or toppings, sprinkle them over the caramel.
- Chill apples in refrigerator for about 20 minutes, or until the caramel sets. Cut each apple half into slices and enjoy!
This incredibly easy take on a classic fall favorite is sure to please! Whether you whip up a batch for your upcoming get together or just for snacking on a sunny fall afternoon, they’re sure to be a huge hit! We can’t promise that you won’t still get a little sticky eating these yummy caramel apple slices, but it sure beats trying to eat a whole apple off of a stick! Feel free to add your favorite caramel apple toppings on top of the caramel to make it your own! Whether you like chocolate, caramel corn, nuts, coconut, or sprinkles, it’s sure to be tasty! What’s your favorite caramel apple topping? Comment to share your tasty ideas!